Learning Lab Resources
The HKUST campus provides countless ways to get involved in learning by doing. If you are looking for an individual student project that be done on campus, or ideas for group projects or capstones work, the following is a list of possibilities for consideration.
Well-being as a key element of Sustainability - Present research on the links between human well-being and sustainability goals. Interview students and make recommendations for enhancing student well-being on campus.
Futures-Thinking Competency - Study the importance of developing the futures-thinking competency and suggest how it can be incorporated in sustainability-related activities or lessons.
- Sustainability as a recruitment tool for new students – conduct appropriate modes of research (literature reviews, interviews, and surveys of students) to determine how important campus sustainability is to high school students when they are considering applying for universities.
- Role of social networks – explore the influence of digital social networks (Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or others) on environmental thinking and how effective they are in creating action and change within the university setting.
Planning and Strategy Development
Low-carbon lifestyle - Develop a plan to promote low carbon lifestyle changes for students (e.g. influence food choices made at supermarket or eateries, organise second-hand clothes-exchange in dorms, investigate online shopping habits & related packaging waste).
- Marketing study – explore current communication strategies for sustainability and develop a communication, marketing and outreach plan for an active campus initiative.
- Flash Mob! – develop a feasible plan for how to instigate a flash mob at a specific time in order to bring attention and awareness to an environmental issues on the HKUST campus.
- Water conservation – develop a strategy for reducing the amount of water used on campus by examining the consumption patterns, utilization data, water pricing, and behavioral considerations.
- Engage students through games - Create and test out a game to effectively illustrate a sustainability concept and help to shape mindsets towards more sustainable practices.
- Beach clean-up – develop a plan of action for identifying one beach in Hong Kong, recruiting volunteers, setting the date, and overseeing the activities of cleaning and removing litter from the site.
- Tree planting – working with one of the local Hong Kong environmental or conservation organizations, develop a plan of action for marketing, recruiting volunteers, and facilitating a tree planting event.
- Installation art – develop a plan to design and get installation art on campus (venue, format, period, student engagement) to send clear message to UST community about particular environmental issue and solution, e.g. plastic waste, paper waste, water
- Sustainability fundraising – plan for a fundraising activity on campus by using a sustainable action that helps focus attention and increase the effectiveness of the fund raising activities.
- Reusable lunchboxes
- Testing out different stirrers (linguine or spaghetti)
- Solar charged rechargeable batteries
- Green wall
- Survey of pedestrian walkways and accessibility on campus