Try to count how much waste you produce everyday;
You will be amazed by how much you can save.
Waste minimization can be achieved in an efficient way by focusing primarily on the "3Rs"
The best way to conserve valuable materials is reducing the waste.
- Think twice before you buy: Do you really need it? Do you have enough storage? Will you regret it tomorrow?
- Consumers are influential. You have a choice! Choose products with minimal packaging.
- If you are not too hungry, why not ask for the "less rice" option? The main canteens on campus all offer this option with $1 discount, and it is cheaper too.
- When buying takeaway food, if you bring along your own cutlery and lunch box our caterers will support your green action by offering $1 discount. Otherwise, there is $2 levy on requesting disposable takeaway container.
- HKUST has eliminated the sale of bottled water under 1 Litre. Say "no" to bottled water. Clean water is available for you on campus. Carry your own reusable drinking bottle and refill it from the drinking fountains (for free)
Reusing materials is another way to extend their value.